What is Long Range Planning?
The Long Range Planning section is responsible for working with other city staff and stakeholders in the community to assess how well existing land use policies, regulations, and city programs are working to meet the goals of the of the city’s 2030 Comprehensive Plan. The Long Range Planning section is directly responsible for development and implementation of policies related to land use, downtown development and historic preservation, and housing.
Key responsibilities of the Long Range Planning section include:
- Managing and implementing the 2030 Comprehensive Plan, which guides future land use and development in the city
- Managing the implementation of the Housing Element of the 2030 Plan
- Publishing the Planning Department’s annual report
- Preparing plans for specific areas within the city. These plans, driven by land use planning, may focus on economic development, neighborhood design or enhancement, transportation, or historic and cultural preservation.
- Managing the implementation of Small Area Plans (Downtown Master Plan and Williams Drive Subarea)
- Maintaining population estimates and projections