Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I find out information on my property?

A:  There are several ways to find out information about your property.  Online you can use our Geoguide map to look up information such as city limit and extra territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) boundaries, zoning, future land use, and utilities around your property.  If you have trouble using the map, you can call the Planning Department at 930-3575 for help.  If you are looking for existing plats or past permits, you can submit a Public Information Request at Open Records Request .

Q:  What does it mean if I’m in the ETJ?

A:  The ETJ is the Extra Territorial Jurisdiction of the City.  This area can go up to 3.5 miles from the edge of the city limits.  If you are in the ETJ, the City has some land use controls.  Georgetown reviews subdivisions, both residential and commercial in the ETJ.  We also review stormwater, driveway and sign permits in this area.

Q:  Can I begin construction while I am processing an application or awaiting a permit?

A:  No. You must have your final approvals prior to commencing construction for either a Plat or Site Plan.  Contact the Building Inspections Department to determine if you may clear and grade the property for preparation.

Q:  How do I find my property lines?  Do they start where the street ends?

A:  Most property lines do not start at the edge of the street pavement.  To determine the location of your property lines, you need a property survey done by a registered land surveyor.  This will show your property lines in relation to the street and other structures.

Q:  What are setback/build-to lines and how do I find them for my property?

A:  A setback is the area between the property line (front, side, or rear) and the setback/build-to line in which you generally cannot build a structure.  The lines or regulations that set the lines are determined when the land is subdivided.  You can find this information on the recorded plat for you subdivision.  For setbacks determined by code see our Unified Development Code.

Q:  Who permits driveway access to public streets?

A:  The City permits driveways onto roads controlled by the City, County and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) in both the city limits and the ETJ.  TXDOT must also review and approve driveways onto freeway frontage roads.

Q:  What is the Edwards Aquifer and what does it mean for me?

A:  The Edwards Aquifer is a large body of water under the ground in much of Williamson County.   This aquifer has recharge zones, which is where water soaks through the soil to the aquifer.  If you are over these areas, there are various considerations when developing, such as water quality and location of possible contaminates.  Check the Edwards Aquifer Map online for a general location for the Edwards Protection Zones.

Q:  How can I find a copy of my subdivision plat?

A:  All recorded subdivisions are on file with the Williamson County Clerks office at 405 Martin Luther King, Jr. Street in Georgetown.  Some records are available online at their Records site.  For most plats that were processed through the City of Georgetown, there are files available at the Planning Department.

Q:  Why does my tax assessment from the Williamson Central Appraisal District (WCAD) have me in a different zoning category than the official City of Georgetown Zoning Map?

A:  The WCAD and Georgetown zoning categories are not the same.  WCAD labels your property for the purpose of tax assessment.  Their determination is based on what they believe to be the property’s current use.  Zoning district categories with the City of Georgetown are used to determine what specific land uses can be developed on a piece of property and which development guidelines need to be followed.

Q:  How do I acquire an address?

A: If you are within the Georgetown city limits or Georgetown extra-territorial jurisdiction, contact the City’s addressing staff at 512-930-3502. If not, contact the City in which you live or Williamson County’s addressing staff.

  • Williamson County Addressing – (512) 943-3708
  • City of Round Rock Addressing – (512) 218-5428
  • Cedar Park Addressing – (512) 401-5056

QWhat is my Zip Code?

A:  Zip Codes are determined solely based on which U.S. Post Office delivers your mail and are not based on any city, county or school district boundaries. Zip Code boundaries are created and maintained solely by the U.S. Postal Service.  It is common that a structure is physically located within one City boundary, but has a Postal address in another City.

The Georgetown Post Office has four Zip Codes under their jurisdiction. Generally speaking, P.O. Boxes in Georgetown are 78627. Areas East of IH 35 are within the 78626 Zip Code. Areas West of IH-35 are divided into two Zip Codes. If an address is West of Shell Road and North of Lake Georgetown, it is in 78633. Areas South of Lake Georgetown and East of Shell Road are typically in 78628.

Q: What if my utility company, phone company, or the Appraisal District have a different address than the City of Georgetown shows?

A: Although it may be in your best interest to have the same address recognized by all of your service providers, having other agencies recognize a different address than the City recognizes may not be a problem. The address recognized by the City of Georgetown is used for two purposes: to locate you for City services and to find you in the event of a 911 emergency service call. If you have a conflicting address and a specific agency is finding it difficult to verify the address that was issued to you by the City, we will be happy to draft a letter from the City and provide any documents to help you resolve the dispute.

Q:  If I call 911 from a cell phone, will they be able to locate my address in the same way that they do with traditional “land line” phone calls?

Phone companies typically submit the home address of the person who owns a cell phone number to the 911 system. However, in some cases the 911 system may not be able to automatically determine your location – especially if the call is being made from a location that is not the user’s home address. It is advisable to collect as much information about your geographic location as possible when making a cell phone 911 call (nearby addresses, cross streets, landmarks).  Please — never hesitate to call 911 for an emergency regardless of what geographic information you can provide.

In some cases, cell phone systems can determine a general location by triangulating the position of the phone based on what antennas it is communicating through.  There are also Federal regulations in the works that would encourage the use of cell phone GPS technology to provide more precise caller locations.