Georgetown Planning Department

Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) and City Limits

What is the Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?

The Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) is a designated buffer area located just outside of the city limits. Each municipality is afforded an ETJ by the Texas Local Government Code as a method of defining potential growth and future service boundaries. An ETJ boundary cannot overlap with another municipality’s ETJ.

What is the extent of an ETJ?

The extent of an ETJ is dependent on the population size of the municipality. A municipality’s population only incorporates those within the City Limits and does not include the residents within the ETJ. An ETJ can extend as little as one-half mile (less than 5,000 inhabitants) or as much as 5 miles (100,000 inhabitants or more). To see the extent of the ETJ for the City of Georgetown, please visit Georgetown City Limits (

Am I in the ETJ?

You can search an address or property on our City Limits map to determine if it is located in the City Limits or ETJ.

What does it mean if I am in the City Limits?

The city has zoning authority and the ability to set property taxes and extend voting privileges to property owners according to State statutes within the city limits.

How do I bring my property into the City Limits?

Annexation is the process by which a city extends its municipal services, regulations, voting privileges and taxing authority to new territory. Cities annex territory to provide urbanizing areas with efficient municipal services and to exercise regulatory authority necessary to protect public health and safety. Through annexation, cities ensure that residents and businesses outside their corporate limits who benefit from access to the city’s facilities and services share in the tax burden, governing and administration of those programs. Annexation and the imposition of land use controls are also excellent growth management tools to implement the comprehensive plan. An ordinance approved by the City Council is required to make an annexation effective.

Annexation requests are reviewed by staff. You will need to submit an Annexation (voluntary) application. For additional information please read Section 3.25 – Annexation (Voluntary) of the Unified Development Code (UDC).

What can I build in the ETJ, and what is my zoning in the ETJ?

There is no zoning in the ETJ. The City’s zoning authority does not extend to its ETJ. The City does regulate and review the subdivision of land, stormwater, utility evaluation, driveway and sign permits. For more information regarding Utility Connections, Stormwater, Driveway, Water Meter Tap/Wastewater Tap information, please contact the Engineering Department at

What services are provided in the ETJ?

  • County Sheriff and Law Enforcement
  • Fire and Emergency Services through their applicable districts
  • County Road Maintenance and Service

What services will no longer be provided for property owners who petition to disannex their property from the ETJ?

Once a property is disannexed from the ETJ, the City would no longer bill for their garbage service. Property owners of disannexed property would need to contract directly with Texas Disposal Systems (or the service provider of their choice that services the subject area) for solid waste services.

What is the process for submitting a petition to disannex from the ETJ?

  1. Submit the items that are required by 88(R) SB 2038 – Enrolled version – Bill Text ( to the City Secretary’s Office at City Hall – 808 Martin Luther King Jr St. Georgetown, TX 78626 in both paper and flash drive (USB) format.  
  2. The request will be processed in accordance with state law.  
  3. For questions regarding how to submit a petition through the City of Georgetown, please reach out to the City Secretary’s Office at (512) 930-3651, or

Once property is released from the ETJ, what regulations will apply for the disannexed property?

  • Property located in unincorporated areas of the County will be required to comply with all Williamson County regulations, including subdivision regulations.
  • Current Williamson County subdivision regulations can be found here.
  • In addition, release from the ETJ will not remove property from an Emergency Services District.
    • For ESD 8, property will be subject to the ESD’s currently adopted fire code which can be found here.
  • Property located within the City of Georgetown’s Water CCN will be subject to water service regulations, including adopted water impact fees and rates.
  • Finally, State regulations enforced by the TCEQ and other agencies will continue to apply and may require certain notices to neighbors and public entities.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Click here to sign up for Georgetown news.
Click here to view our Twitter page. Click here to view our facebook page. Click here to view our Nextdoor page. Click here to view our Youtube page.
Click here to sign up for alerts.
image: City of Georgetown Texas logo